15 things I love about you, Youth Corps!
By: Verginie Touloumian
1. I got to experience Armenia as an Armenian and not as a diasporan tourist.
2. I met many new people from different states of America and Canada. I got so much closer to the friends I already knew.
3. I met AYF members from different countries, who have similar program as Youth Corps.
4. I witnessed 25 individuals become one big family.
5. I got to live with Armenian families and ate traditional Armenian meals. (Dolma in Shushi, Yummy!)
6. I worked with kids who had such big ambitions and dreams for their homeland. One day, I will be their neighbor.
7. I learned Gyumri’s and Artsakh dialects.
8. I worked with kids who inspired me to study hard in US so I can quickly get a job and live in Armenia.
9. I visited Javakhk, Georgia! The only Western Armenia city that has an Armenian population.
10. I learned to hand wash clothes. (You never know, it might be handy one day.) I also learned to take cold showers.
11. I learned to share everything in the house! (This was not easy since I am an only child)
12. I got to eat ICE CREAM every single day and became a pro at eating seeds.
13. I learned responsibility, time management, and organization.
14. I realized that there is so much more to Armenia, then just Yerevan.
15. I spent a whole summer aiding/benefiting my homeland.
There is so much more about why I love the AYF Youth Corps Program, but maybe you can add them next year when you are a participant. I don’t want to miss my flight!
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!